Friday 14 September 2012

Kouign amann

I have been wanting to make kouign amann for a long time but for one reason or another, I haven't been able to have an attempt at it until now. My first challenge was to track down some fresh yeast, not particularly easy with the lack of proper bakeries near me. I even popped into a bakery at my local village and was met with a bemused look when I asked for fresh yeast??!! Luckily, one of the national supermarket chains still have a proper bakery in each store and I was lucky enough to get my hands on some there :)

My first attempt looked promising but I had a major disaster when baking them - lots of liquid dripped from my pastries and onto the floor of my oven causing my kitchen and living room to be clouded in smoke!!! These unfortunately had to be abandoned whilst I attempted to aerate my flat!! (what was more worrying was JD sitting in living room oblivious to the place filling up with smoke!!!) Dommage :(

I then made my 2nd batch in Ma Chan's kitchen and everything turned out much better. I learned afterwards that I had placed my kouign amann the wrong way up for baking the first time which caused sugary liquid to leak out of the pastry :(

These buttery, sugary morsels of puff pastry are best eaten warm out of the oven. Its a shame that they go soggy overnight but I think Ma Chan may have found a solution for "resuscitation"! Bon app! :)

No comments: