Monday 23 January 2012

Duck for dinner

For someone who considers herself a food enthusiast, I have to admit I am fairly unadventurous when it comes to cooking in my own kitchen sadly!! :(

Duck is usually the type of thing which I will order out at a resto simply because I do not cook it at home but I think that might be all about to change :)

We picked up some duck breasts during this week's grocery shopping for one of our weekday dinners, providing me with an opportunity to cook duck for the first time ever. Obviously, the first port of call was the net to find out instructions for pan frying duck breasts. I plumped for some advice from Jamie:
  1. Score the skin of duck breasts.
  2. Place breasts in cold pan, skin side down.
  3. Turn on heat to high and cook until skin is crispy brown.
  4. Flip duck breast to the other side and cook for another 3 minutes to seal breast.
  5. Transfer to dish skin side up and place in oven at 180C for 10 minutes.
  6. Result = perfectly cooked pink duck breast :)  
I did my quick Chinese marinade beforehand on the meat with an addition of zest of an orange which went very nicely with the duck. I also added a quick squidge of honey just before the breasts went into the oven for some extra sweetness. Serve with steamed rice and some blanched spring greens - delish! :)



No comments: