Monday 14 January 2013

순두부찌게 (Soondubu Jjigae) - Spicy Soft Tofu Stew

I'm a big fan of Korean food and a bit of a 라면 (ramyeon) addict too; I always have a few packets stashed in the cupboard for the ultimate mega-quick lunch / hot snack. Of course, they are loaded with all sorts of artificial flavourings and additives (probably the cause of my addiction) and I am constantly scolded by Ma and Ba Chan to stop eating so much ramyeon! :(

With the New Year comes resolutions and one of mine in 2013 is to stop eating so much 라면! My healthy alternative (to substitute my craving for strong, gutsy Korean flavours) comes in the form of 순두부찌게 (Soondubu Jjigae). I found a pretty straightforward recipe on a blog I have been following, pottered along to a Korean supermarket in town (yes, we do have one here) to get the ingredients and hey presto, managed to create a healthy, hot and yummy lunch. Now the only thing I have to do now is control my portion sizes!! ;)
IMG_1166
First step: make the Yangnyum(양념) which forms the flavouring of the underlying soup...

IMG_3954
Yummers! :)

No comments: