Saturday 21 April 2012

1st novelty cake!

One of my very close friends from Uni asked if I could make a b-day cake for his nephew to celebrate his 1st 12 months on planet Earth. Of course, I was more than happy to help - the brief was that his nephew liked rabbits hence our 2 little friends perched on top of this cake. I have to admit that I haven't done sugarpaste modelling since my Squires course 3 years ago so was more than a little nervous when attempting to make these bunnies. I eventually found a video on Youtube which demonstrated how to make bunnies using polymer clay to help me out!! The principals were the same I figured so that served as my guide! I soon realised that sugarpaste is not the easiest stuff to make models with as it does not hold its shape very well and has a tendency to dry out easily which makes sticking limbs to a body very difficult when you work as slow as moi. As a result, bunny no. 1 (on the right) is looking a little "dumpy". I soon learned from my mistakes and decided to make bunny no. 2 smaller and in superfast time too since his "perter" shape. If I had to make the again, I would probably choose to work flowerpaste next time but am proud of myself of "making it work" with sugarpaste :)    

No comments: