Monday 24 May 2010

A spot of baking - alfajores

I recently borrowed Pim's foodie guidebook from the library for a peruse and came across a recipe she had for alfajores (yummy Argentinean cookies sandwiched with dulce de leche). I decided to try it out on my day off with mixed results. As a pastry chef, I should've known better than to attempt the recipe without the full amount of ingredients but decided to chance my luck and go ahead sans 20g butter(!). Needless to say, I got into trouble as my resulting dough was just not wet enough meaning that it was virtually impossible to roll it out and cut into cookies. I then had to use all my pastry chef guile to rescue said dough and in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work". After incorporating a bit of milk into the dough, a bit of chilling in the fridge and some delicate dough-handling, I managed to salvage my hard work and produced some alright looking and tasting alfajores. The consistency of the biscuit was a bit stodgy for liking (there is a lot of cornflour in the recipe) so will need to look into that then next time I make them.....oh, and remember that all important 20g butter!! ;)

No comments: