Sunday 4 March 2012

Sunday dining - Big Fish

Sadly, as a lot of visitors have experienced, Barcelona does not have the best dining options for Sunday dinner as most of the restos in the city shut up shop for the night. For our final meal, I made reservation to go to a seafood resto in the Born area of town called Big Fish as it was one of the only places open on a Sunday evening and I was tempted by the contemporary decor on their website. Even though I had made a booking online, they could not find reservation upon arrival but there were spare tables so everything was fine.

Big Fish does not have a massive menu and seemed to be the place to eat sushi in Barcelona. Not really fancying sushi, we opted for the more traditional 3 courses from the a la carte. Food was pricey; our starters were really good, my main was also good but JD's turbot lacked seasoning. JD really enjoyed his dessert but I made a bad choice on mine. I had also asked for a glass of dry white wine to go with my meal which smelt great but tasted pretty awful so a patchy meal in all. After all the great meals we have had to date, I'm not sure if we would re-visit Big Fish...lighting wasn't great so apologies for the not so stellar pics....
 Amuse of coarse fish mousse (perhaps bacalao?) 

 My starter of scallops - does not look much but they were HUGE!! Diameter of 4-5cm and that's AFTER cooking!!

 JD's starter of cod buñelos (fritters) with pan amb tomaquet - great portion and very tasty. JD's only gripe was he wished there was some sort of sauce accompanying the dish.

My main of lobster rice - more refined than the dish I had at Restaurante Santeaguino and the rice tasted more like lobster than just generic seafood. My dish was only served with the meaty part of the lobster this time and no head, which was a shame...

JD's main of turbot and wild mushrooms - fish lacked seasoning which is unexcusable. Quite pricey (almost 30 yoyos) for the portion.

No comments: