Thursday 19 August 2010

Bar Shu

Now that I have got my job situation sorted, I am finally getting my arse in gear and meeting up with some long lost chums who are still living in the big smoke. I met up with a very dear friend ("la chilanga") after work on Thursday night for a spot of dinner and a much overdue chinwag. We have made a habit of eating out in Chinatown whenever we meet and this time was no exception - I suggested that we try Bar Shu, a Sichuanese restaurant that has been getting rave reviews ever since it opened a few years ago. We managed to grab a table without a reservation and I proceeded to do the usual of ordering too much food :)

The great thing about "la chilanga" is that she's a pretty adventurous eater which meant we could order some of the more "exotic" dishes on the menu......I had a fantastic evening, great food and even greater company - the food in Bar Shu is not bad and I am looking forward to going back and trying some more other dishes. My only gripe is that they don't tell you that service charge is included in the bill and when "la chilanga" went to pay her share by card, the machine gave another further option for giving a gratuity, pretty poor even by Chinatown standards.
Thin slices of beef in numbing hot chilli oil - not actually that spicey. Not sure if I would order it again partly cos the oil is a little off-putting.

Tripe with chillis and peppercorns - HOT! HOT! HOT! Really delicious but potentially a health hazard.

Ox tendons braised with mincemeat served on a bed of pak choi - best dish of the night, mild on the chilli scale :)

Stir fried morning glory with fermented beancurd and chilli

No comments: