Tuesday 31 July 2012

Lunch at Mr Arepas

I had first heard of arepas from one of my Spanish teachers who said they were one of her favourite things to eat and if we ever get the chance, we should try them. Arepas originally come from Colombia and Venezuela (and can also be found in some other countries) and sadly, I have not visited either country and cannot tell what the original arepa tastes like. Surprisingly, there is place in town that serves arepas which seemed like a great lunch idea.

Mr Arepas is a hole in the wall joint in Temple Bar serving arepas. It looks it caters to takeaway orders mostly but there are a few seats for people wanting to sit in; bit of a godsend as it was peeing down with rain outside when I arrived.

I plumped for the Pabellón which was an arepa with shredded beef, black beans, plantains and cheese. Not much of a looker but very tasty and super filling. The arepa tasted like a cross between grilled polenta and cornbread to me, yum! If I had one tiny criticism, it would be that parts of the arepa will a little burnt. Still, its hard to be for 5 yoyo which 
includes a can of soft drink :)
 

No comments: