Tuesday 22 December 2009

Last meal in HK

After much deliberation, I finally bit the bullet and decided to take Ma Chan for a spot of lunch at the restaurant where I did my mini-stage. Getting a table turned out to be not that straightforward; however, front of house were able to squeeze us in after a bit of a "re-jiggle". At the time of the reservation, I had been told that there may not be a table for us with a harbour view; this was totally fine by me but on the day of the lunch, we lucked out and sat at a table with a gorgeous view.


The lunch menu is set with 6 to 7 choices per course; one can choose 2 or 3 courses for a set price. The bonus of the weekend lunch is that there is a choice of desserts from a dessert "trolley" and you can pick all 6 if you really felt like it!! After a perusal of the menu and with some help and recommendations from one of the managers (Simpson), we finally made our choices. Lunch was truly delish and the service was absolutely awesome - I actually spent most of the meal feeling very embarrassed that my former colleagues were now waiting hand and foot on me but Ma Chan enjoyed the whole experience very much! As well as the great service and food, we were served an additional course in between starters and mains of  langoustine ravioli with sweetbreads, one of the restaurant's signature dishes. It really was a wonderful and exquisite dish - one to rival the langoustine raviolis at l'Ardoise!! :)
The other surprise was my former colleagues in desserts asking whether we would like to taste any other desserts on the "a la carte" menu. My first choice was the apple tart which I had helped make a "few" during the last week but unfortunately, it would take too long. I then asked for an extra lime souffle as this was the dessert that was served to the VIPs from Michelin a few days before so I figured it had to be good? We were not disappointed!


A fantastic meal and a lovely end to the working holiday - as I said before, I feel so lucky to have been able to have gained some experience at this resto and feel humbled by the warm welcome of all the staff working there, as a fellow colleague and customer. Thank you again! :)

Signature dish - Langoustine ravioli with veal sweetbread, girolle mushrooms and seafood emulsion, French classical cuisine at its finest.



Breast of guinea fowl with caramelised endives and cranberry - really full of flavour, well balanced and very tender meat.



My choices from the dessert trolley: mini blueberry millefeuille, chocolate tart and salt caramel mousse - all brilliantly executed and very good.



Lime souffle - lovely flavour, not "eggy" and amazingly light and creamy consistency - I may be a souffle convert! :)
   

No comments: